Reitz Law Offices

Your LOCAL Kansas Tax Attorney

facebook logo-bw twitter logo-bw box

Free State Business Center

1201 Wakarusa Drive, Suite #220

Lawrence, KS

man smilling cta-icon

We're here to help out! Don't wait any longer to call us.

Scales of justice

It depends on the complexity of your issue. My practice bills on an hourly basis. The more time that must be expended, the more representation will cost. The amount of fees charged to prepare an Offer are necessary expenses that can be excluded from the amount of an Offer. Tax representations for other issues are typically deductible as a necessary business expense or as itemized deductions.  


I am always willing to discuss my billing rate and policies with prospective clients.  Please call or complete the Tax Issue Contact Request  if you have any questions.

What will legal representation cost?

Call: 785-843-5400

FREE telephone consultation

Do I need an Attorney/CPA to make an Offer in Compromise?

No. Many individuals are competent to make their own Offer to the IRS. However, if you have a tax liability that is greater than $4,000, you may find it worthwhile to seek professional assistance. If you would like to view the forms to decide whether you would prefer to receive assistance, you can find them on this or at the IRS website.  Please call if you have any questions.

I've been approached by an IRS special agent. What should I do?

You should assume that you are under criminal investigation. Politely tell the agent that you will not discuss the issue or divulge any information until you first contact your attorney. Do so immediately!

Filing for bankruptcy may seem embarrassing, but it can save you many problems. Get in touch with us so that we can make the process as hassle-free as possible!

Is filing for bankruptcy your only option?

Are tax difficulties weighing you down?

Learn more about the tax law process by reading and browsing our frequently asked questions. With over 15 years of experience, trust in our attorney to handle your case smoothly.

- Borrow from a financial institution, family or friends and pay it in full.

- Consider Chapter 13 bankruptcy to set up a payment plan for your debts, including your taxes.

- Consider Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

- Make an offer in compromise.

- Ask the IRS to designate your debt (temporarily) unelectable if you are out of work or your income is very low.

- File an installment agreement request to pay off your debt over time. You may be eligible for an installment payment agreement.

Help!  I owe taxes that I can't pay.  What are my options?

Have questions for us?

American express Visa Discover Paypal Mastercard

How long does the IRS have to collect from me?

The Tax Code imposes a ten-year time limit on the IRS to collect taxes after they are assessed. (Internal Revenue Code § 6502.) If you were billed after filing your return, this period starts on the date you filed. If you were audited, the ten years runs from the date the IRS assessed additional taxes.

The Service will accept Offers for as little as pennies on the dollar. Competent advice and representation will ensure that your Offer is the best possible under your particular facts and circumstances. However, the likelihood that your Offer will be accepted and the amount that is determined collectible will depend on your individual circumstances.  The IRS is under no obligation to accept a particular Offer.

What is a  reasonable expectation for an acceptable Offer in Compromise?

The IRS must charge you interest on your tax bill, but penalties are discretionary. The IRS abates (cancels) one-third of all penalties it charges. Competent counsel can advise you on the best arguments to make for penalty abatement.

Do I have to pay the interest and penalties the IRS is charging me on past due amounts?

The IRS must charge you interest on your tax bill, but penalties are discretionary. The IRS abates (cancels) one-third of all penalties it charges. Competent counsel can advise you on the best arguments to make for penalty abatement.

Do I have to pay the interest and penalties the IRS is charging me on past due amounts?

Yes, although this is a practice that is discouraged.

Can the IRS seize my home for back taxes?

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act requires that debt collectors treat you fairly by prohibiting certain methods of debt collection. For example, creditors cannot contact you at unreasonable times or engage in harassing behavior. As of 1998, the IRS is subject to these provisions. If the IRS violates this law you may have a cause of action against them, that is, you can file a suit against them.

What is the Fair Debt Collections Act and does it apply to the IRS?

Yes. Taxpayers can sue the IRS for unauthorized collections activity. The maximum damages allowed is $1 million. These damages must be actual (that is, not punitive) and a taxpayer must prove that the IRS acted with recklessness or disregard of the tax law.

Can I obtain damages against the IRS if they engage in unauthorized collection activities?

Rev. Proc. 84-58 provides guidelines for (1) terminating the accrual of interest on tax deficiencies and (2) allocating payments made to the IRS for tax, penalty and interest.  Please contact my office for more information.

Can I stop the running of interest on my tax liability?

Generally, records should be kept for at least seven years. Many accountants will quote a three-year period, but this does not take into account the full range of statute of limitations that may apply to your returns. The statute of limitations is the determining factor, and a seven-year period better reflects a reasonable limit.

How long should I keep tax records?

1. Non-cash charitable contributions

2. Casualty losses

3. Medical insurance and medical payments

4. Large travel and entertainment expenses

5. Unusually high amounts of income.

What  will increase the likelihood of my return being selected for audit?


Will your office prepare tax returns?

The fees depend on tax-return complexity. Because tax planning and consulting are a major part of my service, it will not be comparable to a tax preparation firm that merely fills in information on your return. It will also cost more than software preparation, but again that option doesn't offer any real benefit besides making data input a little less complicated. I am confident that my fees are well worth the service and benefits my clients receive.

What do you charge for tax preparation?

Generally, individual and non-corporate debtors can discharge tax liabilities in bankruptcy that are at least three years old. There are several exceptions to this rule.  Chapter 13 proceedings are generally the most comprehensive for discharging taxes.

Can I discharge my taxes in bankruptcy?

This is a decision that must be made on a case-by-case basis. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and your individual facts and circumstances will determine the proper course of action. Your attorney should be able to discuss the pros and cons, so you can make an informed decision. If you have a bankruptcy attorney and he or she has not explored the potential for an Offer with you, you should contact my office, especially if the tax liability is a major portion of your debt.

Should I file for bankruptcy or an Offer in Compromise?

Yes. Bankruptcy can be an effective alternative to making an Offer in Compromise.

Do you file bankruptcies?

This is not a good idea. This can be a misdemeanor and punishable by up to one-year imprisonment and / or a fine of up to $1,000.

What happens if I receive a summon and ignore it?

Generally yes. You can file a suit forcing the IRS to pay you the refund. In some instances, the IRS is authorized to use a refund for setoffs against other taxes. There are strict statute of limitations for refund claims, so you should take action as soon as it becomes clear the IRS won't pay.

The IRS owes me a refund and is refusing to pay, can I force them to pay?

Please see IRS Publication 919 for complete instructions.

How do I adjust my federal tax withholding?

File Form 4506 and request for copy or transcript of Tax Form.

How do I obtain old tax returns, form W-2 and other non-1099 tax documents?

Requesting a copy from the payor is the simplest method.

How do I obtain copies of old forms 1099?

You still must file your return by April 15th. Contact the IRS for assistance at 1–800–829–1040, but not before February 15, 2002. When you call, be prepared to provide your social security number, name, address (including zip code), phone number, dates of employment, and the employer's name, address (including zip code) and phone number.


The IRS will send the employer a Form 4598, Form W-2, or 1099, Not Received, Incorrect, or Lost. You will be sent a copy, along with a Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for Form W–2 or Form 1099–R and a Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. If you do not receive your Form W-2 or 1099–R in a timely manner, you may file using the Form 4852.

My employer / bank / other entity sent me an incorrect forms 1099/W-2 OR didn't send me a form 1099/W-2.  What should I do?

This notice is to inform you that your wages are going to be seized. It is a continuing levy, meaning it applies to all wages, salaries and commissions owed, as well as all future wages, commissions and salaries. However, part of every taxpayer's wages is exempt from levy. This exemption is calculated based on the taxpayer's standard deduction plus the number of exemptions the taxpayer is entitled to, divided by the number of weeks in a year. For example, a married taxpayer with four deductions (husband, wife and two children) would compute the exempted wages as follows:

My employer just gave me form 668-W. What is it and what should I do with it?

Standard Deduction


Exemptions (4 x $2,750)



$18,200 / 52 = $350 per week

You must next inform the IRS as to your wage exemption amount by filing Form 668-W(c), Part 6, Statement of Exemptions and return it to your employer to be sent out to the IRS. If you do not fill this out, your employer will be required to compute your exemption as married filing separately with one exemption; which means your exempted wage amount will work out to only $122 week! So do not forget to fill this form out or you will be sorry!